Welcome to ACC Federation of Neighborhoods
A coalition of neighborhood and citizens' groups in Athens since the 1960s, the ACC Federation of Neighborhoods exists to study and inform neighborhood groups and citizens about local issues that affect them. Many of our members are knowledgeable about local government (and some have become involved as citizens or as elected officials). We are independent and non-partisan, but ocassionally take public stands on issues.
Attend our upcoming programs! Free and open to the public, our monthly programs feature current community issues presented by knowledgeable panelists. The public, regardless of FON affiliation, is invited and audience questions are an important component of the agenda. We meet the first Monday of most months at Cine (234 West Hancock Avenue) in the Lab at 7:30 p.m.
Past programs sponsored by the Federation have included Crime and Justice (with local law enforcement officers and judges), Georgia General Assembly Session Reviews (with the local legislative delegation), Schools in the Community (with administrators, parents, and BOE members), Sustainable Development (with local advocates and elected officials), and Economic Development and the Arts (with staff and entrepreneurs). Additionally, we host regular candidate forums to coincide with election cycles.
We welcome ideas for relevant topics.
Tentative Slate of 2014 Programs:(All programs are subject to change.)
- January 13: New Year. New Home. New Federation.
- February 3: YOUR Leisure Services in Athens: A Community Discussion
- March 3: Complete Streets: Prince Avenue
- April 7: ATHENS GATEWAYS: Unsafe? Unprofitable?
- May 5: Commissioner and Mayoral Forum. Sponsored by and held at the Melting Point. Doors open at 6:00 pm
- June 2: Legislative Review
- July: NO PROGRAM
- August 4: SLAPIT! Sustainable Living, Athens People: Interactive Tonight!
- September 8: Exploring Public Education in Athens
- October 14: Next Steps for the Downtown Master Plan
- November 3: More on Public Education in Athens: Challenges & Solutions
- December 1: Holiday Gathering
Note: All programs must be regarded as tentative and subject to change.
Join the Federation
Annual dues are $15 for individuals and $30 for neighborhood or community groups.To download a membership form, click here.
Join the Federation Listserv
Subscribe via our Listserv website. As a member of this listserv, you will receive monthly email updates from the Federation about upcoming programs.
Find Out MoreQuestions? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our OfficersFrances Berry, President
Nance Daniels, Vice President
Wendy Moore, Secretary
Charles Apostolik, Treasurer
David Hamilton, Past President
Our Board MembersJohn Devine
If you are interested in becoming a Federation Board Member, please contact Frances Berry or Nance Daniels at email@example.com. For more information on the responsibilities of Board Members, see the Federation by-laws.